Saturday, March 31, 2012

vintage roots...

Every now and then, I have a bag in my shop that is made of vintage fabric. These vintage fabrics come from a variety of sources, including antique shops, gifts from friends, and my Mee-Mee's cedar closet. Mee-Mee was a seamstress herself (I come by it honestly, though she is much better at it than I am), and has a stash of old fabric in her closet that I look through every now and again.

I got a purple and pink polka dot cotton circa 1950s from her stash a while back and had used some of it but left some of it in my own stash. I recently found it and made this bag:

See it in the shop.
It's it the cutest? As soon as I put it in the shop, I sent the link to Mee-Mee. And she replied with this photo:

That would be my grandparents. On a date. In the 50s. With my Mee-Mee wearing the dress she had made out of that purple fabric. Way. Too. Adorable.

She said there were four yards of fabric in just the skirt! So crazy.

I love dresses from this era, and she's absolutely beautiful, but I'm so glad I get to run around in tank tops and jersey knit skirts. With no pantyhose. Or petticoats.

Loves and Hugs,

Rachel Elise

1 comment:

  1. i love the bag, and i LOVE the story & photo that go with it!
    your mee-mee is absolutely beautiful ♥

    ReplyDelete