Wednesday, April 11, 2012

gluten free focaccia...

If you've read my blog for any length of time, you probably know that:

1. I love food.
2. Burgers and bread are among my most favorite of foods.
3. I found out I have a gluten intolerance a few months ago.

Trying to find out what was wrong with me took a few years, the last three or four months of which were really miserable. Everyone has different reactions and symptoms to gluten; mine was to itch excessively. I was like a little kid with chickenpox, scratching uncontrollably, hoping that temporary relief would somehow make me heal. (I'll clue you in... it doesn't.) Eventually a doctor suggested that I may maybe might have a gluten intolerance, but I took blood work and it came back negative. At that point, he didn't really know what to try next, so I took it upon myself to try a gluten-free diet, blood work or no blood work. And whatdoyaknow. Three days later, I was already getting better. The body is an amazing thing.

At first, my gluten intolerance wasn't a big deal. I ate gluten free 95% of the time, but if I was having a rough day and I wanted to go to RG Burgers and have my skin itch slightly for about a week, I went for it. Itchiness was a side effect I could live with in small doses. But now I've started getting sick to my stomach, having migraines, etc... basically, it feels like having a hangover for about a week. Not. Worth. It.

So, lately I've been trying to embrace gluten-free products. My friend Shelley, who is also gluten intolerant, turned me on to Udi's sandwich bread right from the beginning, and it's a staple in our kitchen. I've also found a few veggie burgers I like, particularly Sunshine and Amy's Bistro Burger, but other than that, I've mainly just changed my eating habits. But now that even cheating on my gluten-free diet is out, I've been craving to replace those foods I miss.

Side note: I love cooking, but baking and I don't really get along so well. Therefore, buying these replacements for glutenie treats seems like the best option. I'll learn to bake... someday...

I went to my local natural foods store last week and picked up a few gluten free things, including this Rosemary Focaccia bread:


Oh my stars. It is so good. I can't wait to make a big bowl of gluten-free pasta and sop up the sauce with this bread. Take that, gluten intolerance. Muah ha ha.

It's soft and breadie and doesn't crumble apart. It comes frozen, so I thawed it on my countertop for a couple of hours and then toasted it right before eating. I took a small chunk of it to Easter dinner so that I could have a dinner roll alternative. I gave my 14-year-old brother-in-law a bite and even he thought it was a good.

Success.

Also, if you are gluten intolerant, I highly recommend you check out this blog. I came across it the other day, and I can't stop reading it. Gluten free products can be so annoyingly expensive, and Karen really focuses on the quality of the product vs. the price. Some things are good but not worth it, some things are expensive, but how could you live without them? Love it.

Hugs and Loves,

Rachel Elise



No comments:

Post a Comment